Profile of MOST's Taiwan Startup Institute
Funded by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan Startup Institute (TSI)is a national-level startup accelerator, and has the mission of uncovering promising R&D results hidden away at universities and research institutions, and guiding aspiring technologieson the way towards commercialization.TSI also promotes the establishment of startups involved in the commercial development of these technologies,which willtransform schools' R&D results into tangible industrial assets. TSI is composed of professionalswith experience and expertise in criticalareas such as finance, law, investment fund-raising, and industry; and helpsstartupteams fine-tunetheir business models, navigate regulatory pathways, and perform market assessment and financial and equity planning. TSI also provides connections to the knowledge, training classes, and external resources needed by innovative startups,including links to domestic and foreign angel investors, venture capitalists, corporate investment departments, and private fund-raising channels. TSI is committed to creating even more exciting success stories in Taiwan!
Scope of Services
- Actively discover, identify, and develop high potential teams and support them with carrying out TRUST-U project submission.
- Link together worldwide venture capital firms, professional networks, startups, and research institutes.
- Provide high-level supports to the teams in market segmentation, market positioning, and business model optimization.
- Manage entrepreneurship training courses; leverage outside consulting expertise and mentors.
- Assist the teams to participate domestic and oversea exhibitions; drive maximum media exposure.
As the leading promoter of science and technology in Taiwan, the Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST)has specifically introduced TRUST-U Program to help universities to commercialize their valuable technologies. Because Taiwan's universities and research institutes have accumulated many years of R&D results, MOST hopes that the transfer of these technological capabilities and results to industry will help transform Taiwan's impressive academic research advancement into real commercial value, benefiting both industry and society.
Apart from providing funding support to startupteams, MOST's TRUST-U program has also establisha national-level accelerator— Taiwan Startup Institute (TSI). By pairing startup teamswith the R&D expertise of universities and research institutions, and providing guidance from mentors in various fields, TSI is helping budding entrepreneurs successfully cross the "valley of death" that causes so many early startups to fail. And as a result, TSI is also ensuring that the R&D results of industry, universities, and research institutionsare fruitfully utilized in real-world applications. While giving Taiwan's industries new infusions of technology and fostering high-value tech startups, the many benefits of TRUST-U Programalso include the encouragement of entrepreneurship and win-win outcomes for both academia and industry
5 Major Industrial Sectors
TSI cooperates with the government on the “five plus two” Innovative Industries Plan to promote 5 major industries, propel Taiwan's economic growth and transform industries by technology.
- The Asian Silicon Valley Project aims to promote innovative internet of things (IoT) devices and platforms, including object detection, internet infrastructure, data collection, and other technological services.
- The Circular Economy Project involves industries that integrate and supply energy resources, as well as those handle waste recycling.
- The New Agriculture Project covers agriculture, forestry, fishery, animal husbandry & related processing industries, machinery manufacturing/leasing industries, and wholesale business, etc.
- The Intelligent Machinery Project brings together elements of smart technology, such as big data, AR/VR integration, and 3D printing.
- The Biomedicine Project includes biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and medical device industries.